Thursday, June 13, 2013

Keep Digging that Ditch...

It has been a great week, book-wise.  We published three this week...Signature Tastes of Phoenix, Signature Tastes of Denver, and Playing With Fires (my personal ode to Firehouse cooking). So you can imagine that I was pretty proud, and strutting around the office like a banty rooster.

Then I pulled up our publishing dates. Hello Reality Check.

We had published one book in eight months.

One Damn Book.

Granted, it was Signature Tastes of New Orleans, and grand, but really?? What have I been doing with my time?

It occurred to me like a bucket of bricks that there was a reason that we would be eating beans and ramen around the office for the next 3 months.  Because we haven't done shit production-wise. Ultimately, this falls on me. And it is a suck-egg feeling.

The day-in, day-out grind is not sexy, and is not flashy, but dammit, it does pay the bills. Says he who is drinking a protein shake instead of a meal because there aren't enough ducets in the bank account for grocery trip.

Don't stop digging.  Just put your head down and gut it out. And then we can enjoy a breakfast out.

Time to get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment